Monday, April 22, 2013

Weight Loss Program

I lost over 30 pounds in the last 6 months ( started in October so actually less than the 7 months which I originally wrote) and this was more or less how I did it:-

(i) I gradually increased my running distance from 1 mile to two miles. Now I am running around 3    miles sometimes.

(ii) I had a philosophy in mind " to eat to live" not "live to eat".

(iii)  I did 2 minute light workouts (Update: 2nd May 2013 - these workouts are slightly more intensive now - with on the spot faster running to a count of 100 to 200) during the day. Part of this routine was   carrying some light weights while running on the spot.  I also do some press ups too.

(iv) I ran  in the morning as well but usually very light runs - 400 to 800 metres. (Update: 2nd May 2013- this has now been replaced by the 2 minute workouts)

I had actually been doing some fartlek runs but now I kind of mix it up with Roger Bannister's training program. He used to run around 400m x10 with around 2 minutes of light jogging in between. I tried to do 400m x 9 at first but ended up with some pain in my balls! - that was when I knew I had to slow down. So I went  down to 400m x 7 which seems to work okay so far. So today I have increased it to 400m x 7 and a bit more.   I usually do a 4 to 5 minute slow jog before this. The whole routine should  take around half hour or so. Tomorrow I will  be running around 2 miles - one mile of which will be at a faster pace. This would take around 20 minutes. So now I am repeating these two routines.

I always warm up with some light stretching and doing sit ups   before the runs. The thing is to increase slowly and gradually especially when you have not done such exercise for some time.

As I was not that fat,( I don't indulge myself too much I guess)  my target weight loss is only 35 pounds - I am very close to reaching that target now.

No comments:

Post a Comment